Michael Basler writes:
> Bernie,
>
> > There already is a --with-metakit=DIR option to configure.  Conversely you
> > specify CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS on the command line to configure thus:
>
> Is there a similar option to tell FlightGear where to look for the Simgear
> libs, as they hit the same problem? - I still would prefer having this
> working by default without any options. The average user just types
> ./configure and sits back.

Ok, looking in configure.ac, the --with-metakit=/path/to/metakit
option simply adds the specified path to EXTRA_DIRS.  We used to add
/usr/local to EXTRA_DIRS automatically, but this was removed because
it was causing problems for gcc-3.x.  Question for those with gcc-3.x:
does the --with-metakit=/path option also cause problems/warnings
compiling?

It would be *very* simple to add /usr/local back in to the list of
subdirectories that are checked and added automatically.

Someone needs to tell me specifically why gcc-3.x was complaining
about this and what can be done about it.  I can't imagine that
gcc-3.x prevents you from including or linking against anything in the
/usr/local tree.