Gerhard Wesp wrote:
strstream would do the trick, but not all compilers support it yet.

Note that <strstream> is *deprecated* in C++, one should use
stringstreams (<sstream>) instead.  No danger of overflowing any buffers
there.  Cf. Josuttis, The C++ Standard Library, Section 13.11.2.

AFAIK, every major platform now does have compilers which come
sufficiently close to the standard to support <sstream>, or am I missing
something?

I was thinking of adding sstream to simgear/compatibility and define a HAVE_SSREAM in compiler.h, but unfortunatly even Boost doesn't provide a sstream replacement header.

If we could find one, that might be the solution (to all our problems?)

Erik