If you are on a local network I would say "go head and use UDP." If you need to span a corporate or university network (or the internet) then the chance for packet loss gets too high for my comfort and would revert back to TCP. When I have used UDP it has been isolated to a single subnet or well controlled set of subnets. Also, look at the network loading. IMHO, if your network loading is > 30% then I would mark it as unreliable for UDP.

Jonathan Polley

p.s. for CDMA networks (10base2, 10base5, and 10baseT using a hub), the rule of thumb was: if your wire is > 20% loaded it is saturated.