Jim Wilson wrote:
Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

What I'm trying to do now is get every lighting state to a completely sunny day with almost unlimited visibility. From there the state should be adjusted based on visibility, number of cloud layers and cloud types.

That would be much easier to start with.

Well just don't throw the cockpit out, that's part of the scene too.  That
particular time of day, the light changes really fast,  possibly much faster
than we're doing it.  Here's a couple of screenshots from that other
simulator.  Their lighting seems pretty good, btw:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/img/screens1/ss4.jpg
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/img/screens1/ss15.jpg

I can overwhelm you with pictures of other simulators that show this isn't the right lighting for these situations...

That is why I took the approach of setting the ambient lighting high enough to
make dark sides (and the cockpit) visible, while leaving enough contrast in
there to give the terrain some depth.  The values probably could be tweaked,
especially with the recent changes in lighting,  but inevitably we'll be
looking at tradeoffs.

Okay, lets add two other situations that might change ambient lighting:

1. Is the sun visible
2. view dependent settings (e.g. cockpit view).

The point stands, I wan to start from the situation where:

a. We are in the open terrain.
b. It is a clear sky and there is almost unlimited visibility.

This means high contrast (low ambient) high specular and modest diffuse). Then we could change everything else relative to that. Changing the lighting to match the cockpit appearance and losing realism for the outside view doesn't help for that.

We need a fixed starting point and go from there.

Erik