From: Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/gallery/test/san_francisco_natural.jpg
> http://www.a1.nl/~ehofman/fgfs/gallery/test/san_francisco_fgfs.jpg

Someone was complaining about the lake in the middle of the city.
I suspect it is the age of the vmap dataset that is to be blamed.

There is the long straight dip going towards downtown and also the
small lake on the San Andreas fault.  In real life, both are fairly
deep dips and were, I suspect, tidal and flooded respectively.

I suspect that, since the vmap data was collected, the dips were drained
and thereby turned into the parkland that you see in the photo.

A similar effect is visible in San Diego for the Mission Bay area;
any long term local who sees our scenery immediately knows when the
vmap0 data was recorded; only recent arrivals refer to it as 'wrong'.

Therefore, I suggest we leave the lake as-is (unless someone who has
lived in the area for a couple of decades has better historical data).
I don't think we can have a simple rule to determine which lakes and
swamps will have been drained or paved over during the last 20-50 years.