Innis Cunningham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Hi Jim
> While mapping the collective to the throttle would work. It is a bit like
> mapping a variable pitch prop to a throttle.In most helo's I worked on the
> throttle was opened wide and then the collective was pulled on.
> It is very interesting to see the look on the passengers faces when the
> pilot has not applied full power and the helo gets out of ground effect.As
> the rotor starts to take the full weight of the A/C the rotor speed drops
> and the helo settles gently back to earth.
> As the helo has no control surfaces the direction has to be determined by
> differential lift on the main rotor blades. To go forward the rear going
> rotor blade has to provide more lift then the forward going rotor blade.And
> to go left the right going blade supplies more lift then the left going
> blade.So to work the Cyclic would require a cross calculation of the
> position of the aileron prop and the elevator prop at any given time.The
> tail rotor could be tied to the rudder but it should give equal rotation
> around its axis regardless of the forward speed or lack of it of the helo.
>
> Hope this helps and makes sence

Hi Innis,

This is Maik Justus' work and he's really done an excellent job of doing what
you've described (thanks for the description btw).  As far as I can tell he is
not (yet?) modeling the engine or throttle in any detail.  But given the
limitations of joysticks,  the "throttle axis" is probably the best place for
the collective.  The one in FlyII does the same thing.  In the FlyII manual it
suggests inverting the control mapping if your hardware has a lever,  since
the collective lever is usually pulled to go up.

Any chance you could take some detailed helo cockpit photos while at work?  :-)

Best,

Jim