> If C++ doesn't scare you, you have no business using it.
>
> Sorry, but that was just too open.  I had to take the shot.  But
> seriously, there's more truth in that statement than a sarcastic
> retort like it deserves.  The time to run screaming from a project is
> the moment the architect declares that it *has* to be written in C++
> because no other language will do.  I'm serious; use with caution. :)

I fully second Andy here.

If you want to learn about object-oriented programming, C++, Java,
PHP, etc. is the wrong place to start. Get

  http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/ObjC.pdf

and read the introduction to OO programming. It really gives you the
insight you need to understand C++ and also what's wrong with it.

Pity Objective-C never really made it outside of {Next,Open,GNU}Step.

If you start a project and need OO features, either do it properly (in
Python or Objective-C), or do it the hard way with GLib/GObject.

I'd better shut up on the mailing list of a giant project written in
C++... I still admire you folks for getting it this far even with C++!

  Andras