David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> > Pull back on the cyclic stick.  Depending on what speed you are going dropping
> > collective too.  I like to swoop down to create some downward momentum and
> > then pull back.  I'm not sure if this is a legal move :-),  but if you are
> > going really fast and want to stop quickly, pull the stick way way back and
> > raise the collective all the way up for a few seconds.  Kind of like reverse
> > thrust on a jet.
>
> Thanks.  I do understand that part, but I'm still trying to get a feel for
> the exact speed effects, especially through the transition from cruise to hover.

Yep, it is a feel, how much collective lift to add.  The thing that usually
screws me up is the tail rotor when hovering.  In general the rudder control
on my X45 sucks,  partially because it is my left hand and I'm very right
handed, but also because it is a rocker.  How are the helos with the pedal
controlers?

> > Part of the problem is the ground effect isn't modeled.  It is in FlyII and
> > that helps quite a bit with hovering as for a landing.  I've read that flight
> > training in the real world usually involves hovering around the field at about
> > 10-20 ft for quite some time (until it becomes second nature).
>
> It does, from what I've seen at airports: not just hovering, but
> hover-taxiing and (especially) gazillions of autorotations.  To learn to
> control the bo105, I made up a little exercise for myself to climb to 5 ft,
> hover-taxi forward, land on the next runway stripe, and repeat to the
> numbers at the end of the runway.

Autorotation is good practice for approaches,  since that's pretty much what
you do to land (the engine just happens to be running giving you a little more
leeway for errors).

> > Anyway,  I'm off to find a roof. :-)
>
> Try to make sure that you're down around 15 kt before you get too close to
> the roof.  In the bo105, at least, if you have to raise to nose to lose
> speed, you can also lose sight of your landing spot.

Yeah...and hitting the ground with the tail is always a distinct possibility.
 That seemed to be a frequent occurance when I was doing this in Fly.  I
usually angle the view sharply downward (out the bottom windows) and use the
heads up display to check on attitude.  Approaches are with the nose high but
not too high to see the target.  I try to get the approach angle at about
30kts...so that it'll slow down steadily, which seems to work really well when
I get it.  Keep in mind that I'm not a pilot and don't _really_ know what I'm
doing ;-)

Here's a couple shots from downtown.  I also tried it with a 20kt wind.
Couldn't even get close to landing in that.

http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/101california1.png
http://www.spiderbark.com/fgfs/101california2.png

Best,

Jim