Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Jim Wilson wrote:
> > Note, I'm suggesting adding Andy's work to plib as an alternative
> > optimizer function, not a replacement for the current code.
>
> No need for this.  They produce identical results if you set the sharp
> angle to 180 degrees.

Theoretically yes, but are you sure of that?

>  All someone needs to do is export the value via
> the loader API.
>
> I give up on the plib folks.  All reports are that the current version
> of this patch produces better looking models in all cases.  Are there
> any real-world cases where we want something different?

Got me.  I'm not involved directly with that project.  I guess I'm taking the
conservative approach.  We certainly aren't the only users.

If the patch was finished, with the support for the old method (or an exact
match as you mentioned above) then I can't imagine that the plib folks would
not accept the patch.  Steve seemed to support the idea of alternate
optimizers and like you said all reports are good.  When it is ready I'm sure
all the Flight Gear folks including yours truly will lobby for it and it will
get in.

Best,

Jim