I'm going to have a look at the Air Navigation Order to check the accuracy of my
original post.  As far as I know, without a IMC or IR a PPl is not permitted into the
kind of airspace which would be home to a airport the size of KSFO regardless of the
ceiling etc. SVFR does partially waive some of the visibility criteria normally
required but not the requirement to glide clear of a conurbation in the event of
engine failure.

Like I say, I'll check this tomorrow as I have a feeling that there may b emore to it
than I stated, and I really should know having just done the exams :-/

All the best,

Matt.