Perhaps this was mentioned already, but I believe in the US in order to
request an SVFR clearance at night you also have to be instrument rated
and the plane must be equipped for IFR flight.  I don't recall whether
you have to be IFR current or not though.  Sounds like you were fine in
this respect though, just wanted to point it out.

-Adam