Excellent! Congratulations!

Curtis L. Olson wrote:

I want to share some news that I'm very excited about.

For February and March I am being paid 50% time by ATC Flight Simulators (http://www.atcflightsim.com) to do some work for one of their specific projects.

Looks like they use columnated projection system. Very cool but I personally get very sick when frame rates fluctuate...

They are building several simulators for a customer that will be a combination of their cockpit hardware, the FlightGear software, a commercial flight dynamics package, and a proprietary instructor station. These simulators will be FAA certified when they are finished (hopefully by June 1.)

Good luck! To what level are they attempting to certify?

I am doing all the software work for these projects (which is a bit scary and a bit exciting.) :-)

The parts of my paid work that directly involve FlightGear are being contributed back to FG of course. That is something that obviously has to happen because of the FG license terms; but beyond that, it's exciting for a percentage of my time to be paid to work on portions of FlightGear. I hope that more opportunities like this will arise in the future. :-) The parts of my work involving proprietary code clearly have to stay proprietary. We are keeping the open-source code seperate from the proprietary code by dividing it up into entirely seperate applications.

For what it's worth, everyone who has seen our early prototypes has been very impressed and we have received a lot of positive feedback. The visual system is 100% FlightGear, the instrument panel rendering is 100% flightgear, the systems modeling is 100% flightgear, the whole flightgear infrastructure is 100% flightgear. :-) The use of FlightGear for this project is a bit of an experiment/risk for ATC, but so far everything has been working out far above expectations.

Best of luck here. I was on a project where we tried to certify a Lear 35 to Level 5. Neither the visual, nor the glass
instruments made it. That was 5 years ago. The rules may have changed.

Long term, I'm very hopeful that this project with ATC will be a stunning success and we can continue to develop a positive symbiotic relationship with them. I'm out to prove that FlightGear is a huge win for their simulators, and in return, (hopefully) they will continue to use FG for future projects and thus have a need to pay me and others to do specific project work for them that will get contributed back to FG.

This announcement is certainly useful for the "thing" I'm working on... I'm still not ready to spill the beans on it yet though.

Anyway, the short version of this message is that I'm getting paid 50% of my time to work on flight simulators for the next two months which is very exciting!

Russ

Conway's Law: "The structure of a system tends to mirror the
structure of the group producing it."
     -- Mel Conway Datamation (1968)