On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:53:45 -0700
 Russell Suter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The VRP is a **solid** point of reference.

Yes, that is most likely different for each aircraft, No? Maybe I've missed something here but as I understand it, the
VRP is an attempt to define a fixed point of reference in the FDM that correlates to the origin of the visual model.

Not necessarily "to the origin". The 3D modeler may choose not to make the nose tip the origin. It could not matter, as long as everyone understands that the VRP refers to the nose tip, and by convention the 3D modeler also knows that, so the rendering code would do whatever it needs to do ...

The XML file can also have a scale factor and the visual model can be correctly used for both Hornet and Super
Hornet. The order of operation for translate, rotate, and scale would need to be defined up front.

This might not be a bad idea, but I'm not a rendering guy.

I absolutely agree. But, there's more to this than simply getting the visual models to correctly align with the FDM. There
are also potential view points that too are fixed. For instance a mounted camera, a maverick missile camera on a rail. Are
you going to calculate VRP's for these too? There can be pilot eyepoint, copilot eyepoint, jump seat eyepoint, etc. As long
as the FDM reports **one** fixed point relative to the aircraft, all other items can be **easily** made to conform to that
point. Ideally, all FDMs would use the same point.

I think so, too.

As far as calculating viewpoints for missiles, etc. this would come naturally.

Jon