> I mean no disrespect, nor do I question your ability.  But, you don't
> seem to  entirely understand the power of the offsets property.  If the
> FDM reports a position, say the nose, as you intend to do.  Now say that
> the 3D model has the origin at the tail.  All is not lost.  As long as
> someone can determine the deltas x,y,z between these two fixed points,
> these deltas become the /offsets/ properties in the XML wrapper file that
> tell the IG software how to shift the 3D model to the FDM's reported
> position.

Yes. I agree with this. This is obvious -- sometimes we import 3D models
made by others. I am not implying at all that the origin (0,0,0) must be the
nose for 3D models (although it could be).

> That JSBSim reported the nose is not significant.

Yes is it.

Because it must be understood what JSBSim is reporting: does the lat/lon/alt
reported by JSBSim to FlightGear represent the location of the tail, the
nose, the dynamic or empty-weight CG, or ... ?  If this is standardized to a
commonly understood point, it makes it easier for newbies to relate 3D
models to the flight model. Otherwise, it will lead to confusion: how does a
newer or less capable user know what these offsets should be. They would
have to dig into FlightGear / JSBSim documentation (with the associated
various degrees of completeness). If referencing the empty weight CG, they
will have to research, or do trial and error, or do some math based on what
is in the config file. It's easier to state that a physical and observable
point is the reference point.

> It's fixed point to fixed point but they don't need to be the same fixed
> point.

I've never said that the 3D model origin has to be the tip of the nose - in
fact I expect it NOT to be. This is where the offset file/properties comes
in.

But one must know what the "registration marks" are. I argue that for 3D
model designers it is easier to identify the tip of the nose more accurately
than where the empty weight CG is. And, it must be publicly announced just
what the FDM is reporting for lat/lon/alt. This is what I mean by
agreed-upon convention.

> >I am trying to preclude confusion amongst the audience of 3D modelers and
> >flight model creators.
>
> This is a false sense of security.  Not all FDMs will use the nose, nor
> will all 3D models.

If all FDMs report the lat/lon/alt location of the same point, that will
make things more "plug and play". Otherwise, the offset properties will need
to be changed per FDM, per aircraft. A common VRP ought to make the aircraft
models more interchangeable, without changing offset properties.

But, again, the 3D model does not need (and I don't expect it) to use the
nose as the *origin*, it just has to HAVE a nose.

Jon