Dave Perry wrote:

There are a number of airports on the front range in Colorado with similar raised or sunken runways. KBJC (Jeffco) and 2V2 (Vance Brand, where I fly from for real) are examples. But several airports
near these are fine: KFNL and KGXY for example.

Today (I *think*) I tracked down the problem with odd airport elevations and surfaces, although I need to do more extensive testing.

I also believe I've fixed the problem with grassy runway center sections.

Also, I mentioned in another note that just West of KDSM (Des Moines, IA), or West of KIKV (Ankeny Regional in Des Moines),
there is a fairly large drop off or shear in the scenery. This area for real is very flat.

I noticed that ... it definitely seems wrong ... I wonder if it's an artifact of the SRTM terrain data? We should probably look at that chunk of data in a separate viewer to verify if it's processing bug, or a problem with the source data. This probably warrants an Iowa joke (being from a neighboring state) but I can't think of anything tasteful. :-)

Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project