Could the joystick file have a section which defines "virtual" named axes (pitch,
roll, yaw, throttle, hat_x, hat_y etc) which are mapped to the appropriate FG input
(elevator, aileron, rudder, throttle, view x and view y), and then have a section for
each OS which maps axis numbers to virtual axes as defined in the file.

Richard