Gunnstein Lye wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Do you really have to build separate binaries
> of gcc for each target? I thought I could use the same binary for
> linux (native) and windows (crosscompiling).

Not to my knowledge.  The code generation is more or less identical,
but some of the symbol naming rules are different, the decisions as to
which sections to place symbols into is different, and of course the
binutils formats are entirely different.

You *can* do this with cygwin, where the only difference from MinGW is
the C runtime library.  The compiler supports a -mno-cygwin flag that
basically turns it into the same toolchain you get with a
--target=mingw32 build.

Unfortunately it turns out that cygwin doesn't install these tools
under the conventional "platform-program" names (e.g. mingw32-gcc), so
I'm not sure how cygwin users are supposed to use them with a autoconf
environment which requires those names for cross compiling.  For right
now, cygwin users are going to have to install or build the mingw
stuff even though it's redundant.

Andy