Durk Talsma wrote:

In February Erik Hofman mentioned that Robin Peel maintains a database of airway data, for shared use between x-plane and FlightGear. I was wondering if there's also a database of SID and STAR procedures that we could use? The reason I'm asking is that these might be extremely useful in developing AI traffic.

It would be better than what we have now, but it wouldn't be realistic. SIDs and STARs are fallback procedures in case of lost comms -- in real life, ATC has never had me fly one all the way through, and most of the time, my arrivals and departures bear little resemblance to the SIDs or STARs, even when they were part of my initial clearance.

The reason they don't work in real life is that everyone is flying at a different speed. There's typically one STAR for every arrival direction (often centred around a major intersection or navaid), but ATC has IFR traffic ranging from 100 kt Cherokee 140s to 180 kt twins and turboprops to jets flying just barely under the 250 kt low-altitude limit (or not, in the case of some military jets). They also have to get departures off the runway in-between arrivals. Obviously, they cannot send us all in on the same route even if the STAR does have separate altitudes for jets and props, so the STAR usually gets abandoned not long after the initial fix. Jets and turboprops typically get vectored to a long final (say, 15 nm or more), while slow twins and singles get turned in just before (or sometimes on top of) the final approach fix so that they'll spend the minimum amount of time clogging up approach path.

IIRC, the airway database is currently not included in the cvs base package. Where would I be able to find it?

DAFIF has a complete airway database. I actually used it once for real-life flight planning when I had my notebook with me but couldn't get online and had left my charts in the plane.

All the best,

David