OK, I finally got a big block of time to commit to building plib,
SimGear, and FlightGear from CVS, only to find that I didn't need
it.  I was expecting to have to solve lots of problems; instead,
the builds went like a breeze.  No problems at all.

Unfortunately, running it was problematic.  I guess between
version 0.9.4 in Debian testing/unstable and the current CVS,
sound was switched to OpenAL.  I ran into one problem and one
oddity:

1.  constant pops, crackles, etc., while error messages of the
form

} Oops AL error in sample set_volume()! 1.3 for
/home/cmetzler/Projects/FlightGear-0.9//data/Sounds/coughing.wav

scroll up the screen by the score.  I don't know anything about
OpenAL; but I'm surprised to have sound problems, since this
is a system that's been built/tuned for doing audio work, with
Robert Love/Andrew Morton's patches in place and a lot of
latency testing done.

2.  the c172 sound in the cockpit is very different from outside
it.  From a view outside the cockpit, it sounds like it did in
version 0.9.4.  But from the cockpit view, it has a high pitch
and more distorted-sounding noise.  This may be intentional; maybe
cockpit noise really does differ in such a way (I only wish I was
a pilot).  But I figured I'd check anyway.

Any advice, especially on #1, would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)