This week I tweaked the autopilot of the MD11 a bit, and right now I have a
reasonably well working autothrottle and altitude hold. I also modified the
engine configuration file a bit by lowering the default TSFC and by-pass
ratio values, based on information I found on the web.

So, this morning, I tried doing some range testing, and found that the MD11
prototype can now fly a distance of about 4500 miles. This may seem a bit
short, but I discovered that the (aeromatic generated) JSBSim configuration
file has four fuel tanks, but the engines draw fuel from only three tanks. Is
there a way to fix this, so that the engines draw fuel from all four tanks?

Also, I was wondering whether or not I can  modify the TSCF and bypass ratio
values in the JSBSim turbine engine files, without introducing any unwanted
side effects.

If I can get the sim to draw fuel from the fourth tank, we get a range of
about 6000-6500 miles. Interestingly enough, that's pretty close to the
published figure of about 6460 nautical miles that the original
(non-improved) GE powered MD11's could do. :-)

Cheers,
Durk