I just noticed that the Debian autobuilder had quietly gone off and made
AMD64 packages to run FlightGear 0.9.4 and all its dependencies in 64-bit.
I did "sudo apt-get install flightgear" and "fgfs" ... and it ran fine.

The framerate was just over 1fps, but that's because the laptop has the
ATI 9600 chipset so I have to choose between the unaccelerated open source
driver or the 32-bit only accelerated closed source driver from ATI.
I used the accelerated driver, running in a chroot on a biarch kernel,
but ATI's kernel module doesn't compile for 64-bit so I couldn't use it.

Just thought you'd like to know ... 8-)