I have only read the first few posts, but I am already seeing a problem here:
people seem to think that Flightgear only supports .ac3d for models.  THIS IS
NOT THE CASE!

One can download a version of GMax (the same 3D modelling tool that is used
for designing models for Microsoft's Flight Simulators), work on 3D models,
than export them into .3ds format which FlightGear will accept.

We really need to educate potential users that there are alternate methods for
designing models for FlightGear other than the usual AC3D/blender approach.

Ampere