Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
I'm afraid, you cannot expect people to purchase new hardware for an
open source game to work ;-)

Is new hardware really necessary?

nope, it wasn't required - after all it is supposed to be "software-raytracing" and not hardware, but I *assume* without a corresponding hardware board your CPU would probably be abused as a GPU - almost exclusively ...

The reason I brought the OpenRT topic up again is that (as far as I understand) it can run on most people's desktop.

yes, but I somehow doubt that there would remain much idle CPU time - you'd probably at least need a dual-processor board - but again, I'm *guessing*.

Probably, they wouldn't start developing prototype hardware boards:

        http://www.saarcor.de/

...if the gains were not significant ?

Now, if it can render a 350 million polygons model using a CPU that is slower than mine, then it should be able to handle FlightGear with ease.

I am not so sure about that - in order to get representative data, one would need to have at least some simple tests available or maybe even a simple game that employs the software-based raytracing approach.

On http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/RTGames/ there are various games
mentioned, even screenshots are shown - and even very promising
divx-videos - but there doesn't seem to be a simple demo for personal
evaluation !?

This might be the case because all these videos seem to have been
created using clusters of a dozen or even more 1 GHZ machines ...

Doesn't sound that feasible to me :-/

But that page is also where you can find the quote I mentioned:

        "We are very much interested in evaluating new ways for computer
        games and therefore like to cooperate with the gaming industry.
        Thus if  you are in such a position, please send us an email! "

Maybe they've got a mailing list ? Possibly they would provide you with
more details if you contact them...

But I doubt that it is the ultimate solution - there are certainly
drawbacks, and it's not necessarily suited for any purpose, either.

Otherwise it would probably already be a lot more popular !?