Andy Ross wrote:

> Matthias Froelich wrote:
> > This case kind of works for the arrester wires. The braking force is
> > just hacked into the gear code. But this is just to be able to test.
>
> What would probably be a better idea (at least for YASim) would be to
> model the braking force as a *distance* over which the aircraft will
> be stopped.  In the real world, they have to calibrate the wires for
> the exact aircraft configuration that is going to be landing.

That would seem to fit the bill nicely

> You would figure out what constant acceleration would stop the
> aircraft in the distance available, and simply apply that force "at"
> the tailhook and "towards" the center of the arrestor wire.

Near enough for me.

> The catshot is actually harder: in real life, the force is at the
> bottom of the nosegear.  But if you apply that to the dynamics model
> the aircraft will want to tilt backwards as it accelerates.  Real
> aircraft don't do this because the nosegear is artificially compressed
> and held that way during the shot.  Maybe the easiest way to simulate
> this would be to apply the force at the nose, or some other point
> forward of the c.g. and above the gear.

I don't think that's quite right. The catapult tow arm is fitted about half
way up the nosewheel leg, so the force is forward and down. We should be
able to model that. UK carriers used strops attached to hooks on the
fuselage.

> I'm honestly looking for something to get me back into FlightGear
> development.  I can do the YASim integration if you guys have an
> interface ready for the "ground velocity" and "arrestor wire position"
> values.

Welcome back ... propellers? Had you forgotten?

Regards

Vivian