OK,

I have finally gotten it to build from scratch correctly.

At the end of this is the build instructions.  But they will only work if a
set of patches are applied.  I am not sure who they should go to, so that
they will get put into CVS.  So I have just attached them here.
If none of you can apply these patches, can someone let me know who they
should go to?

Note that one of the problem files is a new test file that was added and
shows up in CVS, so I have just commented out the problem lines in
Network/ATC-Inputs.cxx so that it will compile, but the current version of
that file will not work.

-- Adam

How to build FlightGear v0.9.6 on Mac OS X.

These steps worked fine for me, but I don't know if other OS versions etc.
might also work:
Mac OS 10.3.6
XCode 1.5
    By default this included gcc 3.3, autotmake 1.6.3, autoconf 2.53, so
nothing else is required.

* Setup the build environment:
Create the directory to build into, and one for the source.  For example:
mkdir FlightGear
mkdir FlightGear/src
then I like to just create an environment variable to this:
export BUILDDIR=/where/ever/you/created/FlightGear

*Download and install OpenAL.
You can build it yourself, or you can just download an installer from:
    http://www.openal.org/downloads.html  Then click on Creative OpenAL
page, and click on the MacOS X installer.
The link is:

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid
=97&file=OpenAL_Installer_OSX.dmg
but I gave the above path, steps just in case this link breaks.
Double click on the disk image and double click on the installer.

* Download PLIB
I first tried to use plib 1.8.3 but that will not compile properly on a Mac
without a few changes.  But, as of this writing, the CVS version will.
You can either use CVS, or grab the snapshot from here:
http://plib.sourceforge.net/dist/current.tgz

If you open the above link it should automatically unpack to create a folder
called plib.
Drag (or copy) that folder into /where/ever/you/created/FlightGear/src

For CVS:

> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/plib login
password "guest"
> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/plib -z3 co plib

* Build PLIB

> cd $BUILDDIR/src/plib
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix=$BUILDDIR
> make install

* Get SimGear sources

> cd $BUILDDIR/src
>
> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/SimGear-0.3 login
Enter "guest" for password
> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/SimGear-0.3 -z3 co
SimGear

* Build SimGear

> cd $BUILDDIR/src/SimGear
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --prefix=$BUILDDIR
> make install

* Get FlightGear sources
Here you can either download the released source from the web site, or use
the CVS snapshot.
> cd $BUILDDIR/src
For CVS do this:
> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/FlightGear-0.9 login
> CVS passwd: guest
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/FlightGear-0.9 co
source

If you want to just grab the release, then get it from the web site, and put
the code into src.

* Build FlightGear

> cd $BUILDDIR/src/source
> ./autogen.sh
Automake should do the next two steps, but for some reason does not for
FlightGear
(but it does for SimGear, which is odd)
> ln -s /usr/share/automake-1.6/config.guess config.guess
> ln -s /usr/share/automake-1.6/config.sub config.sub
> ./configure --prefix=$BUILDDIR --without-x
> make

* Get the base data files (if you don't have them already)
again, you can just do a download from the web site, or you can use CVS.
For CVS do this:

> cd $BUILDDIR (or where ever you want to put the data)
> cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/FlightGear-0.9 login
CVS passwd: guest
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/cvs/FlightGear-0.9 co
data

* You are now ready to run FlightGear.  There are a few different ways to do
it.
If you just do:
> cd $BUILDDIR
> src/FlightGear/src/Main/fgfs --fg-root=/path/to/data
It should run.
I believe that it will also try to search in $BUILDDIR/fgfsbase for data.
Finally it will search for a file in your home directory .fgfsrc when it
tries to start.  You can put any startup flags that you want into that file.
For example, if you put --fg-root=/path/to/data into that file, then you
double click on src/FlightGear/src/Main/fgfs (or run it from the command
line) then it should startup and run.

Once it is built, you can move fgfs anywhere that you want, such as into the
Applications folder, and you can run it from the command line, or by double
clicking on it (if you have created ~/.fgfsrc with the flags that you want.)