On Tuesday 23 November 2004 00:16, Alex Perry wrote:
> From: Boris Koenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > David Megginson wrote:
> > > I understand
> > > that there are USB devices that you can wear on your head
> > > to control the view in games, and those would probably
> > > work in FlightGear, but it would be hard to survive the
> > > ridicule from family, friends, and neighbours for wearing
> > > one.
> >
> > LOL, that would indeed be very amusing ... must probably
> > look very similar to the "BORG" on Star Trek ;-)
>
> There are two different things here.
>
> Normally, for gaming, people want to keep their head
> stationary (in linear dimensions) and look in different
> directions (angular). What people are talking about here is
> wanting to keep their direction of gaze (fixed object) but
> change their point of view.
>
> The former is easily addressed with a simple magnetic compass
> module, to figure out which way you're looking, and a head
> mount display so that the screen is always located in the
> correct direction (in front). The compass module is usually
> integrated into the HMD and so not really a source of looking
> 'odd', at least compared to the HMD unit itself.
>
> However, the compass module doesn't work when the user wants
> to be able to move their head and still look in the same
> direction.  For example, to lean forward in order to read the
> tiny little numbers on the altimeter. For that, you need to
> track the position of the head, not direction, so you really
> want a different kind of sensor to address that need. You
> don't need a HMD either, since the instrument panel doesn't
> move. There are sensors for this, for example by putting
> ultrasonic ranging transducers on your head and on the four
> corners of the monitor, but nothing I'd really recommend to
> you as being a marvellous solution.
>
> Assuming there is a network socket that is providing the 3D
> position of the nose (for example) of the user with respect to
> the monitor, how hard is it to get FGFS to slew the
> camera/viewport relationship ? I've got stuff lying around at
> work here that is fairly cheap and can be made to do the
> sensing job, so it'd be interesting to try it out ...

I had a bit of a go at something along the lines of moving the
viewpoint in the Comper Swift.  The design of the a/c meant that
the wing was directly in front of the eyes (in early models of
the Swift the altimeter and airspeed indicator were set into the
cut-out in the trailing edge of the wing around the cockpit) so
it was necessary for the pilot to lean out to either side to get
a view directly ahead.  As the Swift didn't have flaps I
re-mapped the key bindings to move the cockpit view sideways -
when I get around to updating it I'll use Nasal to handle it.

Anyway, when I also get around to making the 3d instruments for
the cockpit, the viewpoint change should work with the 3d
instruments, one of which, iirc, was a horizontally mounted mag
compass that cantilevered out from the panel.

LeeE