Arnt Karlsen wrote:

..also keep in mind graphic cards can carry the bulk of the work, a typical recent card doing math can do about 50 GFLOPS where tyical recent CPU's does 6 GFLOPS, according to at gpgpu.org: http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~jowens/talks/owens-hpec04-gpgpu.pdf

Looks like they had not got the units correct there. I think they meant 6GB/s data processing speed for 32bit float multiply or sometihing. Anyway, I think their numbers for the Pentium 4 would be to high anyway. A typical P4 works aroung 3GHz, and 6GFlops/s would be 2 flops per second. 6GB/s would be 2 bytes per second, or 0.5 32bit operations per second, which requires pretty effective paralell intruction for the P4.