On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:36:19 +1100, Nick Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I must have missed it, sorry about that.  Oh yeah, 2 months ago was exam
> time, I stopped reading the list for a few weeks.

No harm done.  We're all unhappy, of course, but it's hard for
non-Americans like me to complain  too much -- the U.S. is removing
information about our countries that our own governments never made
freely available in the first place.  The FAA database is still
available for the U.S., but other governments (like mine) do not make
their aero data available freely at all, and we've been lucky that the
U.S. has made data for Canada, Europe, Asia, etc. available.  It's so
bad that the Garmin 296 GPS (which displays terrain and manmade
obstructions) does not even display towers in Canada, because the
Canadian government wanted royalties for every Garmin unit sold (!!!).
The real solution to this problem is to come up with a worldwide,
peer-reviewed open-source aero database, for use both by the
simulation community and by the aviation community.  That's an
enormous undertaking, of course.

Originally, the excuse for pulling DAFIF was the Australian
government's attempt to sue Jeppesen for royalties on Australian aero
data, or something similar.  Now, the reason is simply national
security.  I wonder if the Australian thing died out, or if it was
just easier to use the security boilerplate than to get into the
complex legal details.

All the best,

David

--