Any more background on why the aircraft is being transported this way?

The obvious solution to getting the aircraft there would be to fly it in.

EHLE has 4,265ft of runway; more than enough to get a 747 down with nil
payload and a light fuel load. (A 747 with payload + light fuel can reputedly
stop in 3,000ft).

Was there a major mechanical problem with the A/C while it was at EHAM? Or had
it just been out of service there for a long time?

Anecdotally; Several VC-10s were mothballed in the UK for years and then flown
out for recomissioning to the RAF with nothing more than a basic VFR panel
and still wearing their protective coat of storing-wax.