Dave Martin wrote:

> Now, what about if you connected a second mouse to your USB bus, configured
> it
> in XF86/Xorg but didn't assign a pointer to it.

I don't think this is an issue of multiple mice. Nowadays you can have
a mouse, a joystick/yoke and pedals with FlightGear (all with USB, if
you like). So whatever you are aiming at should be possible with
FlightGear by employing customized joystick configurations that attach
to the second mouse instead. You probably don't want to 'route' your
second mouse through the window system.

This reminds me of a nice approach for a _really_ modular joystick
'interface':

  http://usbip.naist.jp/

If you manage to merge the basics of the client side directly into
SimGear, then you could have as many controls as you like (via loopback
interface),

Martin.