On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:33:16 +0000, Dave wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tuesday 28 Dec 2004 23:16, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:28:08 +0000, Dave wrote in message
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >  If it were to be done, it could be limited to aircraft that it
> > >  would be  compatible with. Say, if the aircraft were in a certain
> > >  airline livery, you  could be sure of the reg position.
> >
> > ..shouldn't the livery define the reg position?
>
> If you follow, I mean the livery of one a/c type of one airline.
>
> In the case of Airlines, they typically have a production run of one
> livery  per type (sometimes with tail variations) but generally, all
> of the  registrations will be marked in the same location.

..yup.

> I was thinking more about callsigns; if each AI aircraft is given a
> callsign,  they could then take a registration from a pool (simple
> list) of correct  registrations for their 'type' (ie: SqueezyJet 737)
> If a registration is  taken by an AI traffic, the aircraft is given
> another from the same list.
>
> For airline fanatics, they could even help by providing 'flag-name'
> details  for real-world registrations which would mean that:
>
>  callsign: Speedbird 6

..yeah, but airliners usually get their call signs from their routes,
such as "Finnair won too trrree" going from say Tampere, SF
to Helsinki (Is it?).   Your "Speedbird 6" idea should work
nicely with one-off charter flights, and could be made a fallback
when the plane isn't simming a scheduled flight.

> Recieves: Reg: G-CIVW and flag-name: City of Lichfield.
>
> Of course, this is both extreme and probably pointless when it comes
> to  flag-names but it is the sort of thing that you could apply to
> textures using  Imagemagick if the flag-names were pre-made.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: