As you know I have limited C/C++ knowledge, but I thought I'd have
at least a little bit  ;-)  Here comes ....
While I'm digging through the sources in the hope to find the cause for
some mislead header includes I wondered about notation of several
include statements. To my knowledge system includes should be bordered
by brackets:

#include <stdio.h>

and your own, private header files by quotation marks:

#include "atis.hxx"

Could someone please explain to me what is different for example in
FlightGear/src/ATC/atis.cxx:

#include <simgear/compiler.h>

This is definitely not a system include because it stems from your very
private SimGear installation. What did I miss ?

Thanks,
        Martin.