On January 4, 2005 04:39 pm, Dave Martin wrote:
> It is best to work with the native format of the model.
>
> Updating a model using a different modeller may make it uneditable for the
> other current contributors.
>
> However, for all I know, the Hunter / Seahawk may have been made in
> software other than 3DS and then exported. - In which case it would be best
> to get the original source files.
>
> Dave Martin

Or not, depending on the situation.

For example, if the aircraft doesn't have a virtual cockpit and you intend to
add a virtual cockpit to it, your model can be in any format you want.  You
can integrate it with the main model afterward using XML.

On the other hand, if, for example, you are intend to replace an already
existed virtual cockpit of a certain aircraft with your own, there are two
ways to go about it:
1.  You want to edit the model in its native format, as David has pointed out.
2.  Make the cockpit or whatever object(s) you want to replace hidden, and
load your own model; all using XML.

Right now, Innis and I are collaborating on an aircraft.  Since we both use
different 3D modelling software, different parts of the model are in
different formats.  We get around this problem by using XML to put the
various components together.

Ampere