On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:20:02 +0000, David Luff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone who flies in the US tell me how prolific windsocks at GA
> airports actually are.  Currently we get one at each end of the runway by
> default in the airport data, but I'm wondering if that's generally
> overkill?  If an airport has a segmented circle (nicely visible from aerial
> photos) is that where the windsock is usually located?

Yes, you're right -- the default windsocks in our X-Plane database are
overkill.  Here's what appears in the AIP Canada on the subject
(Canada generally follows ICAO recommendations closely):

  At aerodromes that do not have prepared runways [i.e. floatplane
bases -- dpm], the wind
  direction indicator is usually mounted on or near some conspicuous
building or in the vicinity of
  the general aircraft parking area.

  Runways greater than 4,000 feet in length will have a wind direction
indicator for each end of
  the runway.  It will be located 500 feet in from the runway end and
200 feet outward, usually on
  the left side.

  Runways 4,000 feet in length and shorter will have a wind direction
indicator centrally located
  so as to be visible from all approaches and the aircraft parking
area.  Where only one runway
  exists, it will be located at the mid-point of the runway 200 feet
from the edge.

  For night operations the wind direction indicator will be lighted.

My home airport has an 8,000 ft runway, a 10,000 ft runway, and a
3,300 ft runway.  The 8,000 ft runway and 10,000 ft runway have
lighted windsocks at each end; the 3,300 ft runway has one in the
middle of the runway and it's not lighted (since that runway isn't for
night use).  You will also see windsocks near helipads, of course, if
the airport has any.  Note that a defined grass or gravel strip still
counts as a "prepared runway".

As Curt mentioned, there are also many non-regulation windsocks around
most airports, mostly small things.  The majority of them are useless
because they're mounted too close to buildings (rather than high on
top), so they show local wind currents around the buildings rather
than the prevailing winds in the field.  They're there mainly just for
decoration.

All the best,

David

--