On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:30:15 +0100
Erik Hofman wrote:

> Chris Metzler wrote:
>
> > Jon, are you agreeable to getting this stuff into the downloadable
> > scenery (that is, putting the models into the data tree and making
> > their placement part of the TerraGear/scenery generation process)?
> > Curt, are you?  It would be cool to have this stuff in the scenery.
>
> There is no need to include it in the official release since we now have
>
> a Terrain directory and an Objects directory in the Scenery directory.
> This makes it easy to add additional objects after you have installed
> the Scenery Terrain.

I don't mean the official release (although there where appropriate) so
much as the downloadable scenery available at e.g.
http://www.flightgear.org/Downloads/scenery.html . . .in other words,
just as we have radio towers decorating the landscape, having cooling
towers and might be good as well; and just as we have control towers
and windsocks at airports, having checkerboarded buildings at the
airport navaids locations might also look very nice.  Yes, it's true
that the stuff can (with some effort if you wanna do it globally) be
downloaded and installed; but so could be the radio towers and the control
towers and the windsocks and so forth.  If we know that they're present,
and we know their locations, and we have models for them, and it doesn't
consume a lot of disk space to include them or bandwidth to download
them, why not include them?

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)