On Saturday 08 Jan 2005 12:37, Jon Stockill wrote:

> I think you'd struggle to maintain 35FPS in complex scenery areas with
> the 5200 - although you could probably replace that with an older
> GeForce4 card of a higher spec or about the same price. The
> motherboard/CPU is perfectly adequate though - I've run flightgear on
> far less.

Thanks for that info.

I had a suspicion that the GPU could be a sticking point.

I'm trying to price it up with all-new components so that someone can 'follow
in my footsteps' (or not if it comes to nowt)

Obviously, the Ti4xxx series is no longer available 'off the shelf' and their
equivalent is that FX5600 / FX5700 series. - I only just noticed that the
5200's have roughly half the transistor count of the Ti4xxx / FX56/5700s :-O

The FX53,5500s are the same deal with only 45mil transistors :-/

So I'm either going to need to get lucky with the suppliers or the price must
go up.

There is always NVCLOCK http://www.linuxhardware.org/nvclock/ but that usually
leads to 'molten-gpu-syndrome' ;-)

The goal of this idea is a projected panorama system (min 3 screens) and then
possibly a modular cockpit system (convertible from an SEP all the way to a
Multi / Jet).

For projection, I'm looking at building projectors myself. This will be my
third design; I've already constructed an OHP based one and a higher-quality
linear projector.

I hope to be using cold LED illumination. - Suprisingly, LED lightsources are
now feasable as there are 1-Watt(!) white LEDs with built-in collimators on
the market. You would, of course, require several banks of these. Soon, there
will be 5-Watt(!!) LEDs on the market of the same design. For 'enclosed' or
semi-darkroom projection, this is ample.

Here is an example of a compact 'cold' projector using 1-Watt collimator LEDs:
http://www.cyfinity.com/fgfs/lensview1_sml.jpg (not my design).

Dave Martin.