On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:57:13 -0500
David Megginson wrote:

> In combination with this change, I'd like us to start thinking about
> changing the starting airport to Palo Alto (KPAO) rather than KSFO.
> It's more in proportion with the C-172, and with a few buildings,
> etc., we could have it looking quite nice.  A few minutes after taking
> off from there and flying in a straight line, a new user will pass
> over KSFO, which will be more exciting to look at from the air, and
> then San Francisco, adding a nice sense of discovery.

I agree with this, except I might suggest KSQL instead of KPAO, for three
minor reasons.  One is that we have a set of new user docs, designed to
teach the basics of flight and flying the circuit in the c172, that come
with the release; they presume that you started at KSQL.  The second is
that KSQL is closer to KSFO, and the Oracle buildings and Dunbarton
bridge are very nearby, so there's quicker aesthetic gratification.
Finally, KSQL and KPAO both need work as far as their taxiway layouts are
concerned; but KSQL's will come from TaxiDrawers more quickly because
KPAO's main apron area is circular and enclosed by a circular taxiway.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)