Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:22:48 -0400, Josh wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Ok, I finally got some sort of flying FDM working, so here it is in
all of its  alpha glory:

http://home.comcast.net/~jrbabcock/superfort/b29.tgz

Be warned, racy but authentic nose art (she's clothed, but you have to
look hard  to see it). Other versions to follow, probably 'Enola Gay',
'Fifi', and  something from the Korean war. The others should all be
kid safe, but for now  'Lucky Lady' is motivating me :)

..cute.  We need more of these, to remain authentic.  ;o)

Yeah, this is an excellent opportunity to spread some historical information. I am toying with the idea of including a brief history of the 29 and each of the individual planes modeled along with the documentation. This is a low priority though.

The ironic thing is that many really artistic planes had to be repainted when the first 29's started completing their tours and cycling back to the states for propaganda tours and refits. Once the religious and women's groups saw them they raised a stink and the AAF eventually banned personalized painting on B-29s, even after many of the squadrons started self censoring. At the end of the war almost all the planes had the exact same nose art, only difference being which city was highlighted in the painting. See "city of" nose art on google images. Luckily a lot of this art was preserved in one way or another, and some units, like the 509th composite (nuclear group) seem to have retained all of their nose art both puritanical and explicit. 'Lucky Lady' is actually preserved somewhere on the actual skin panels, removed from the aircraft. I think the superfort's were the only planes with this problem, mostly because they had much more explicit artwork, probably due to the remoteness and loneliness of Tinian and Guam compared to England and France.

Josh