On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:09:34 +0200, Thomas wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Am Freitag 22 April 2005 18:33 schrieb Martin Spott:
> > Adam Dershowitz wrote:
> > > Martin:  Yes, in the US it is often done in single engine
> > > airplanes.  There is a lot of single engine IFR flying here, so
> > > the rating is very useful on its own, rather than as a step to
> > > other ratings.  It really increases the utility of a airplane
> > > greatly when a few clouds don't ground you.
> >
> > Oh yes, I understand the intention, as long as it's really focused
> > on IFR flying - and I'd wish to do it as well.  Unfortunately in
> > Germany, probably in most of Europe, we have to face major and in
> > large parts unnecessary hindrance which probably will make the IFR
> > rating unreachable for me  :-(
>
> As far as I know, you do not have to have a multiengine rating for the
> IFR one  in Germany. Both ratings are independent of each other. So
> nothing hinders  you to go straight through... :-)
>
> Nevertheless we have way too much restrictions here in Germany, with
> new ones  developed at an increasing rate after 9/11 (I'm currently
> filling a "Request  for a security check" of my very own person :-( )

..huh???  This is so you can walk to 'n from your plane and preflight
etc it at your local and other airports?

> > To be honest, I believe experienced people actually _do_ fly IFR if
> > they have an aircraft that is equipped accordingly - even without
> > having the proper license  :-)
>
> No they do not, at least not for long time. On our way back from
> Friedrichshafen (Aero, Europes biggest GA trade show) we properly
> descended  from FL 95 to FL 55, even at the cost of 10 extra minutes,
> because ATC didn't  let us cross Nuremburgs D airspace.
>
> The point is, as proper IFR traffic you can expect separation from
> ATC. Don't  expect that as VFR in IMC.

..I and David Magginson discussed this here a year or so back, post-9/11
GA sounds quite as paranoid as Cold War time GA up north in Norway
(Finnmark), it _was_ over the hill paranoid, "file flight plan 1hour in
advance", "always, alway, always carry max fuel so you could get as far
away from the Red Army as possible if they move in", and "if you can,
carry your own radar and hide in terrain or clouds while running away to
some useable or ditchable field", we expected our northern airports and
ATC either taken, nuked, or "in the queue" in a couple of hours, in case
of a Soviet invasion.

..the idiot war in Iraq is GWB's own doing, but I really have a problem
forgiving those _assholes_ who lured the Russians into that idiot war in
Chechenya.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: