I think the old implementation has some features that the new one is
missing. Of course the new one is better integrated with FG, so that's a
big plus. I'd leave them both for now.

On a related note, I seem to recall MS having some patents on cloud
rendering. They had an article in game developer a while back that
discussed it. I think they implemented the Mark Harris method or
something very much like it (or did he do it for them?). Anyway, as long
as Marks contribution is in FGFS I don't think anyone can claim any
proprietary ownership of his methods :-)

-Paul K.