OK, I got things working, but I have another question.
First off, to get things to work, I had to rebuild SimGear
--with-jpeg-factory and then reconfigure and rebuild FlightGear.  The
configure process actually checked for jpeg, so when it is not available it
gives an error even though the help says that it works.
So I just wrote a shell script that uses curl to grab images periodically.
Not elegant or efficient, but it does work.

But, once I got that working, it seems that the jpegs that are returned are
just a small part of the screen.  It does a crop for a lower corner.  If I
resize the screen to just the right size then I can get the returned images
to cover the full window.
Is there a way to get --jpg-httpd to return the full window?  It seems like
that should be the behavior, and dragging to resize the window should just
resize the resultant jpg.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-- Adam