In a message dated 5/20/2005 2:09:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

But is is meant to be fixed at the aircraft and thus rotates due to the
aircrafts velocity or is it fixed at the earth and relocated for every frame
to display?

Or the other question is: what is that hud element meant  to display?
I cannot yet make sense of that.

Hi M,

The HUD element provides a visual indicator of energy within a  constant
speed climb or descent thru the use of hud_ladr.cxx:

 if(energy_marker) {
if (total_vel < 5.0)  {
t1 = 0;
t2 =  0;
} else {
t1 =  up_vel/total_vel;
t2 = asin((Vxx*Axx + Vyy*Ayy +  Vzz*Azz)/(9.81*total_vel));
}
pot_slope =  ((t2/3)*SGD_RADIANS_TO_DEGREES)*factor + vel_y;

The values of Vxx, Vyy, ... are called in for the JSBSim and YASim both,  but
Axx, Ayy, ... are called for YAsim only, rendering the HUD element to
indicate velocity only.

As for reference plane, I'm hazy as to the effect of the frame on the
reference but would lean towards the geodedic or earth-referenced
acceleration.  I
have been through the flight.cxx and .hxx files along with  the
src/FDM/JSBSim.cxx and YASim.cxx and have come away with the  "v_dot_local",
"Get_" and
"Set_Accels_Local" as the given  terminology in the NED sections, although
these
may be in name only and not  function.

To refresh the initial query;  I would like to use the energy marker  within
a training tool using a simple single trainer but I need 2 VOR's for
intersection identification.  The PA-28 -YASim provides the energy  marker and
the
c172 - JSBSim provides the avionics... hmmm...

Thanks,
Mike