Success!  I just commented out the call to fgAirportDBLoad as well,
and now it starts up in less than 20 seconds, which is perfect.  It
seems to run more smoothly as well having freed up so much memory, but
I can't confirm that.

KSFO still seems to be there, visually, and all I need from flightgear
are the visual model and terrain elevations.  Am I losing anything
important by bypassing this?  Is the airport data simply marker beacon
and ILS information?

Drew