To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <flightgear-devel@flightgear.org>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Building joystick hardware

On Monday, 6 June 2005 20:46, Andy Ross wrote:
Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> Well - it's not really a serial driver, the interface connects thru
> the handshake lines rts/cts and dtr with rxd and txd left
> unconnected since the LTC1090 speaks a synchronous protocol.

Oh, heh.  Well, if the hardware is non-standard, then one hack is as
good as another.  Never mind what I said, this is actually pretty
elegant.  Short of putting a microcontroller on your board, I have no
suggestions. :)

What would be really great is if there was an *easy* DIY USB-HID interface.
I've been hunting all over for an simple solution but have found none.

I know CH Products sell a USB-HID joystick module that comes in various
preprogrammed options or that they will customize for you if you want but I don't know the price and I'm even less sure that I want to know how much it
costs.

All the other USB-HID interfaces require some fairly in depth knowledge of
microprocessors, ASM and USB protocol specs which is not for the faint
hearted. Programming the USB-HID protocols in ASM is the really difficult
part - the hardware is simple.

However the advantages of USB-HID are tremendous since there is no need to
write drivers for MS OS's or Linux as they are already included in the OS's. No worrying about kernel space or user space drivers which probably halves the
work involved.

I'm not sure how the Linux USB-HID stuff works but I know MS Windows actually
compiles and installs a new driver in the background after querying an HID
device and finding out what features the device contains.

Paul