OK, this works great: (other than the fact that it doesn't actually do
anything yet)

gearLightCheck = func {
    for (i=0; i<3; i=i+1) {
        thisProp = "/gear/gear[" ~ i ~ "]/position-norm";
        if ( getprop(thisProp) == 1 ) {
            print("green");
        } elsif ( getprop(thisProp) == 0 ) {
            print("off");
        } else {
            print("red");
        }
    }
    settimer(gearLightCheck, 5);
}

but this

gearLightCheck = func {
    for (i=0; i<3; i=i+1) {
        thisProp = "/gear/gear[" ~ i ~ "]/position-norm";
        if ( getprop(thisProp) == 1 ) {
            print("green");
        } elsif ( getprop(thisProp) < 1 ) {          <---- Line 143
            print("red");
        } else {
            print("off");
        }
    }
    settimer(gearLightCheck, 5);
}

produces this error:
Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
   at /usr/local/share/FlightGear/data/Aircraft/b29/b29.nas, line 143

I know these props are set, because I put the following in the set.xml file:

 <controls>
  <gear>
   <nosewheel-caster type="bool" archive="y">true</nosewheel-caster>
   <antiskid type="bool" archive="y">false</antiskid>
   <gear num="0">
    <position-norm>0</position-norm>
   </gear>
   <gear num="1">
    <position-norm>0</position-norm>
   </gear>
   <gear num="2">
    <position-norm>0</position-norm>
   </gear>
   <gear num="3">
    <position-norm>0</position-norm>
   </gear>
  </gear>
 </controls>

As an aside, the initial output looks like this:
b29-common.xml initialized
0: red
1: red
2: red
3: red
WARNING: Legacy engine definition in YASim configuration file.  Please fix.
WARNING: Legacy engine definition in YASim configuration file.  Please fix.
WARNING: Legacy engine definition in YASim configuration file.  Please fix.
WARNING: Legacy engine definition in YASim configuration file.  Please fix.
0: green
1: green
2: green
3: green