Mathias Fröhlich wrote

> On Mittwoch 15 Juni 2005 11:00, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > > When browsing Mark Harris' web page I got the impression that he
> > > simulates the
> > > airflow.
> >
> > This one?
> >
> > http://www.markmark.net/clouds/
> >
> > I can't find any reference in the site or the papers there to simulating
> > airflow. It just renders clouds.
>
> http://www.markmark.net/cloudsim/index.html
>
> Look into that. I believed that this was integrated somehow. That looks
> phantastic and does things like that.
> Watch the video on the bottom of that page.

Wonderful - just what we need! However, where's the code? I don't think it's
what we have. The OpenGL stuff for download from Mark's site just renders
cloud. This is "Simulation of Cloud Dynamics on Graphics Hardware"

>From his paper:

"5. Hardware Implementation

As mentioned before, we perform all of the numerical
computation for our cloud simulator in the programmable,
floating point fragment unit of a graphics processor."

Hmmm. Have I got this one wrong?

Mark's code (OpenGL) renders up to 51 fixed shape clouds. His lighting and
shading is good. I like the way the aircraft penetrates cloud from an
outside view. Harald's clouds are nicer, more varied, but perhaps not quite
as well lit and shaded. The cloud penetration from an outside view could be
improved (and I'm sure will be). Mark's code does not seem to be under
active development, while Harald's is. I therefore support the retirement of
Mark's OpenGL code.

Of course, if we can go the "Simulation of Cloud Dynamics on Graphics
Hardware" route, then wow! All bets are off.

Anyone know how to program graphics hardware so that any/all cards would
work?

V.