Am Wednesday 20 July 2005 03:46 schrieb Pigeon:
>     I suppose using an invisible aircraft would work now as an observer.
> If the server could handle something like if someone connecting with a
> callsign "observer", then it would simply send packets to the observer
> about other real players, but don't need to get another info from the
> observer itself, except, perhaps, logging on or off. That will also mean
> the server needs to be happy with multiple connection with the same
> callsign. So I'd say it might be better to just treat them as a special
> class of clients.

I was thinking about oberservers, too. So it will be possible to build radar
stations (human operated) and tower controll etc, without disdurbing the
other clients (which would try to render the observer).
Using the callsign "observer" to mark observers is possibly the best approach
for the moment, as it will work with the current client (unless there are
more then other 10 clients). But then again the question about "reach"
arises. Does an observer only get information about clients in its reach or
about all clients connected to the server?

For generating a map of current clients connected to the server this way is
not appropriate. The map generator would have to listen some seconds to the
server in order to get information of (hopefully all) clients. A better way
is to implement some kind of "admin protocol" in the server based on TCP
rather then UDP to get (and maybe set, too) information on connected clients.

Oliver