On Thursday 11 August 2005 14:23, Jon Berndt wrote:

> The red and green/blue images could be registered better in the
> post-processing phase. However, had I done that, I would have had to crop
> the images more horizontally. I didn't feel like doing that at the time. It
> was sort of a quick-and-dirty post-processing effort. I agree, though, that
> it would be cool to have a stereo flight simulator. I've got no idea on the
> mechanics of the visuals though - how that could be implemented.
>
> Jon

I was looking into driving a stereo HMD thru FlightGear a while back (all
theory - nothing practical yet).

One idea I had was to produce the offset visuals using a dual-cpu system with
2 instances of FlightGear's 'out-the-window' engine running as if the cpus
were 2 networked systems doing the same. The advantage (I presumed) would be
that the video frames would be closer to being synced than if 2 seperate
machines were used. Either 2 video cards or one very-high performance one
running 1 display per framebuffer could be used.

The FDM and everything else could be run a networked machine or you could
maybe step up your main system to quad cpus and use the same
'locally-networked' trick.

Dave Martin.