> Out of interest, did Mathias ever manage to fix the gear jitter at stationary
> with his fancy integration scheme, and if so will it be going into FlightGear
> when you merge up next?
>
> Cheers - Dave

No. (I hope this doesn't "open up a can of worms ...")

Though it is acknowledged that Mathias' fix would have worked well, and is
mathematically
precise, the code overhead was sophisticated, large-ish, and somewhat complex -
an
evaluation that is, of course, open to interpretation and difference of
opinion. The
quandary I always face as development coordinator is in balancing design goals
and actual
capabilities. I had to consider the needs  and perceived "comfort level" of the
target
audience[s], as well as myself. It led to a lot of really excruciatingly
uncomfortable
choices, some of which were so personally vexing that I continually put them
off.

At this point, yes, the gear still jitters, and it is still a high priority to
be
addressed. The route I prefer to take - at this time - is best described this
way: The EOM
and integration scheme now in use (which Mathias also adeptly refined) works
quite well
for almost anything that anyone wants to do with JSBSim. The single most
important
remaining problem that involves the dynamic math model is the same problem that
the
literature shows afflicts many other simulators: landing gear modeling at low
and zero
velocity. I do not feel it is the best solution at this time to consider a new
and major
change to the integration scheme in order to address this one problem.

There are probably a few good approaches to fixing the gear problem - and it
does need to
be fixed. One good one is presented in an AIAA paper (AIAA-200?-4303). In that
paper, the
"tricycle approximation" is described.

At some point, the integration scheme in JSBSim will probably be revisited,
after some
other approaches in JSBSim are modified. The gear jitter problem will be
addressed. Right
now there are other pressing needs.

I don't know what else to say ...

Jon