Oliver Schroeder wrote:
> Am Friday 14 October 2005 10:37 schrieb James Turner:

>> - I think there's an implicit assumption that if the TCP port is well-
>> known, the UDP port is reserved for your use
>
> I take "well known" as a well defined term, refering to ports 1-1024,
> assigned
> by the IANA. In that case your assumption is wrong. It is either defined or
> not used.

There are what I'd call two types of well-known port numbers. Think of
common database servers for example. Nobody would chose port 5432 for
their application although it's not below 1024. A fine explanation and
a set of the respective files is collected here:

  http://www.sethwklein.net/projects/iana-etc/

Martin.